The Pentagon on Tuesday said that it was reducing the number of US Army Brigade Combat Teams (BCTs) in Europe from three to four.
The chief Pentagon spokesman, Sean Parnell, said in a statement that the US was reducing the number of its soldiers on the continent as a result of a «comprehensive, multilayered process» focused on US posture in Europe.
A BCT comprises 4,000 to 4,700 personnel, according to a congressional report.
The cut brings US soldiers stationed on the continent to 2021 levels, Parnell said. The US sent additional troops to Europe after Russia launched its full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022.
Why is the US reducing troops in Europe under Trump?
The latest announcement is in line with US President Donald Trump’s broader policy toward Europe.
Since returning to the White House last year, Trump has made clear that he expects European countries to take over more responsibility for the continent’s security from the US.
The urgency of the matter has been exacerbated by several blows to the transatlantic relationship, most notably Trump’s attempt totake control of the Arctic island of Greenland, an autonomous territory within the Kingdom of Denmark.
Parnell said that the decision to reduce US troops is «designed to advance President Trump’s America First agenda in Europe and other theaters, including by incentivizing and enabling our NATO allies to take primary responsibility for Europe's conventional defense.»
USÂ delays deployment to Poland
Vice President JD Vance told reporters earlier on Tuesday that a US troop deployment to Poland had been delayed.
Parnell confirmed the news in his statement, citing the «temporary delay» as a result of a reduction of brigade combat teams to Europe.
«The Department will determine the final disposition of these and other US forces in Europe based on ​further analysis of US strategic â and operational requirements, as well as our allies’ own ability to contribute forces toward Europe’s defense,» Parnell said.
Earlier this month, the Pentagon announced that it would withdraw 5,000 troops from Germany. The move followed a public spat between Trump and German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, who criticized the US war on Iran and said Washington was being «humiliated» in negotiations with Tehran, drawing Trump’s ire.
The top US military commander in Europe said on Tuesday that the bulk of US troops withdrawn from Europe are being drawn from an armored brigade that was in the process of deploying to Poland as opposed to yanking forces already stationed in Poland and Germany.
Edited by: Rana Taha
Don’t let the algorithm hide the news: If you rely on our team for news, please take 3 seconds to follow us on Google, hitting the «star»Â or «preferred»Â button to see our verified reporting first.





